Amy Remeikis report on the sacking of Billy Gordon MP, Brisbane Times (30.3.15):
‘The Palaszczuk Government is in crisis after the Premier was forced to sack one of her MPs for failing to disclose his criminal history to the party – bringing her two-month old minority administration to the brink.
‘Ms Palaszczuk ordered the state executive to expel Cook MP Billy Gordon from the party on Sunday after discovering he had been “dishonest” with her.
‘She also advised Mr Gordon to resign from parliament, which would leave Labor in danger of falling one seat short of a parliamentary majority – Labor won 44 seats, including Cook, while the LNP claimed victory in 42. Independent MP Peter Wellington committed his support to Labor, giving Ms Palaszczuk the majority in the 89-seat parliament she needed to lead.’
- The sacking of Billy Gordon, ALP MP » – Account of the sacking of Billy Gordon MP by Premier Palaszczuk
- Jessica Rudd on why Palaszczuk’s decisiveness might strengthen her position » – Argument why Palaszczuk’s rapid action to sack Gordon may have strengthened her position as leader of an accountable government
- Amy Remeikis on Palaszczuk facing an Indigenous audience after having to sack Billy Gordon » – The Premier faced an Indigenous audience in Townsville who described the problems of growing up with serious disadvantage
- Peter Wellington declares that Premier Palaszczuk still has his confidence » – The Speaker, Peter Wellington, expresses his continuing support for Premier Palaszczuk and her government
- Sacking puts Labor’s hold on minority government in jeopardy » – ABC report citing Professor Graeme Orr saying that any attempt to force Billy Gordon to resign as an MP by inducement or intimidation could be in contempt of Parliament
- Billy Gordon’s past should not end the Queensland parliament » – Graeme Orr gives his reason for arguing that Billy Gordon’s not disclosure should not be used to try to force him to resign in The Conversation (30.3.15)
- Palaszczuk asks who leaked Billy Gordon’s Community Services file to media » – Premier Palaszczuk asks who leaked the Community Services file that held details of Billy Gordon’s background
- Speaker Peter Wellington slams gutter politics over Billy Gordon » – ‘Peter Wellington has come out swinging against those he believes are using Billy Gordon’s former partner in a “clearly orchestrated” attempt to “bring down” and “destabilise the government”. He said he didn’t know who was behind what he claimed was a plot, but added his support for the Labor administration was “only strengthened”.’
- Gordon says he won’t quite Parliament » – Billy Gordon reported as saying he will not quit Parliament
- Queensland’ political uncertainty to remain » – 8 April 2015 update article on the government’s position on Billy Gordon